Hey, guys! Sorry if some of you received my unfinished draft of this post in your e-mail. I accidentally clicked “publish” instead of “save”. :P Anyway, I promised many of my readers who messaged me via Twitter and Skype that I’ll be showing you all how I made my DIY Pikachu headband. It only took me about 2 hours of trial-and-error, and my method was greatly inspired by this YouTube video:
THINGS YOU WILL NEED:
-ear template (I downloaded mine from shnugglebunny)
-fabric marker (the Sharpie in the photo below proved to be ineffective)
-hot glue gun
-black acrylic paint
Although I bought the majority of my materials from the craft section in Walmart, my mom provided me with the hot glue gun when I went home the other weekend. :P I was actually pretty nervous, since this was my first time using one. Surprisingly, it went better than I thought – yes, I may have burned a finger or two, but it’s certainly much easier than sewing! :o
Anyway, I decided to use fleece instead of felt. Although felt may have been sturdier in the long run, I couldn’t resist how soft this package felt in the store! Unfortunately, this was the smallest size they carried. Which I don’t really mind, since I might make a Pikachu tail with the leftover fabric if I’m not too busy with school and work stuff. (Would you guys be interested in that?)
At first, I followed the YouTube tutorial exactly – taking the ear template, tracing it over the fleece twice, and cutting them out. But when it came to creating the “hollow tube”, I had some difficultly with the tutorial’s method because of my unsteady hands. I must have made three or four duds before deciding to figure out a more efficient way to glue them into shape.
I found that it was much easier for me to glue them inside out at first, and then rolling them back to normal once the glue had dried. Even though mine weren’t completely perfect, they came out much neater than my previous trials.
I wasn’t too worried about any lumpiness, since I knew that I was going to be stuffing the ears with cotton balls. Make sure to fluff them out first before inserting them into the tubes, like this:
Don’t pack them in too tightly – they should be sturdy, but still soft. After leaving about half an inch of space, I used the back end of my paintbrush to move some of the stuffing near the seam aside so that I could insert a pipe cleaner all the way in. After gluing an inch of the pipe cleaner on the inside of the seam, I sealed the tube twice: once to close the end, and once to fold the corners behind the ear.
Try to make both ears as similar to each other as possible.
Next, I cut out a rectangle of fleece and glued it to my headband. Try to keep the headband centered while attaching the first side of the fabric. While gluing the second side of fabric in place, it’s okay to overlap the material. Just make sure to pull this side taut while gluing in order to avoid lumps. Mine came out less than perfect, but the bumps on the bottom side of the headband are going to be hidden when I wear it anyway. :P
Next, I attached the ears onto the headband. Starting with the bottom side, I wrapped and glued the pipe cleaners onto the bottom. Then I laid a line of glue across the back of the base of the ears and pressed it firmly into the front and part of the top of the headband for more adhesion.
After the glue had dried, I snipped the extra pipe cleaner away and took my fabric marker to draw a guideline for the black tips on the ears.
Although the YouTube tutorial recommends that you mix your acrylic black paint with water, I used the paint by itself because fleece is much softer than felt.
Overall, I’m really pleased with this project and even more excited to wear it for I-CON in 10 days!!! :D I’ll be sure to take lots of pictures for you guys. If you have any questions, feel free to leave them in the comments below. Don’t forget to subscribe, either. :) Until next time! ^.^