Since tomorrow is the 1st of August, this is usually when I start thinking about what I need for school. Since I dorm away at college, I like to make sure all my necessities are covered by the time move-in day rolls around. Fortunately for me, I go to Stony Brook University (a small part of which is pictured above!), and the dorms already provide us with plenty of furniture and storage space. I also have a lot of school supplies left over from previous semesters – pens, pencils, folders, oatmeal bars, laundry soap, etc. That doesn’t mean I don’t have a few other things in mind, though!
1. Notebooks, and a good planner. When I’m at school, almost every single detail of both my curricular and extracurricular life is noted in my planner – homework, extra credit lectures, review sessions, parties, plays, concerts, shopping lists, to-do lists, etc. It’s essential to keep your busy life organized!
2. A full-length mirror. Last year, I kept my mirror in the bathroom. The bathroom that’s shared by SIX girls. It was bound to be knocked over by one of my suitemates, eventually. And one morning, last semester, it was. RIP. :'( Fortunately for me, they sell for pretty cheap at Target!
3. A small to medium-sized magnified vanity mirror. You guys know what I’m talking about – they’re the circular mirrors that have a great reflective quality on one side, and a 10x magnification on the other. Sometimes, it’s scary to see your skin that close up! Most beauty stores have them in stock for $50+, but I know a couple drug stores carry them for only $6. :P Last year, I settled for using a tiny compact mirror and the mirror in my horribly-lit suite bathroom for everything. Believe me when I say a vanity mirror is a must-have for precise and convenient eyebrow plucking and makeup application!
4. Shampoo, conditioner, body wash, and a loofah. I don’t know about you guys, but I hate it when I buy a set of bath essentials, only to run out in two weeks. =/ I say invest in plus-sized bottles at wholesale stores like BJs or Costco. They never fail me. : )
5. New underwear! One of my favorite things about back-to-school shopping is going into Victoria’s Secret and treating myself to their oh-so-luxurious collection of bras and panties. I kid you not when I tell all my guy friends to get their girls a VS gift card for Christmas or their birthday. It’s a win-win situation!
6. A new pair of flip flops. Unfortunately, my last pair were destroyed this summer by overuse. :( But they’re also a college dorm staple! Personally, the building I live in is literally next to a cafe. What if I just want to grab some coffee in the early morning or late night, and all I’m wearing are pajamas? I have friends all over my building, as well, and flips flops are great for just hanging out in their rooms during whatever time of day. And let’s not forget about those who are cautious about stepping into the shower – a separate pair of flip flops for that is recommended, as well.
7. Room decorations! This may not necessarily be something I need to buy. I usually decorate the walls of my room with photographs of my friends. I also like to print out the art of my favorite photographers, mount them on stiff black board, and display them around my room. I’m thinking of doing a magazine collage this year, too. : ) Room decor is definitely the chance to brighten up my room with color and happiness. It’s there to keep me feeling like I’m home.
A friend of mine once told me that he firmly believed that a college campus is the closest to a “perfect society” as anything can get. Though I may not agree entirely, I do admit that I really miss campus life. It makes me feel so independent, since I’m the one who gets to decide what I want to do and when I want to do it. My move-in date is August 29th, and I honestly can’t wait. <3